Pan-United and Surbana Jurong Team Up to Decarbonise Heavy Vehicle Trucking Fleet
- Exploring the conversion of Pan-United’s entire trucking fleet of more than 1,000 trucks to electric and hydrogen powered vehicles
- Partnership aligns with Pan-United’s sustainability targets; one of which is to become a carbon-neutral RMC company by 2050
1. Singapore, 5 January 2022 – Pan-United Concrete, a subsidiary of Singapore’s largest concrete and cement provider Pan-United Corporation Ltd (泛联集团, “Pan-United”), and Surbana Jurong Pte Ltd (盛裕控股集团, “Surbana Jurong”), one of the largest Asia-based global urban, infrastructure, and managed services consulting firms, have entered into a Project Development Partnership Agreement (“Partnership”) to study the feasibility of using electric and hydrogen fuel cells to power a fleet of more than 1,000 trucks moving its concrete business in Singapore.
2. The Partnership is in line with Pan-United’s sustainability targets to firstly, offer only low-carbon concrete1 by 2030, secondly, offer carbon-neutral concrete products by 2040 and lastly, become a carbon-neutral ready-mix concrete (“RMC”) company by 2050.
3. As part of the Partnership, Surbana Jurong will study and evaluate the potential of decarbonising Pan-United’s fleet of concrete mixer trucks and tipper trucks that currently operate on diesel.
Pan-United concrete mixer trucks at one of its concrete batching production plants.
4. The Partnership aims to achieve several outcomes, chief of which is to develop a technology roadmap based on Pan-United’s strategy and vision towards carbon abatement of its trucking fleets, as well as shortlist high-potential technologies. Surbana Jurong will also help to develop a business plan that takes into consideration the techno-economic feasibility and potential carbon dioxide (“CO2”) savings. In addition, Surbana Jurong will make carbon footprint calculations to determine the extent of carbon emissions reduced in Pan-United’s future trucking fleet while setting the pace of transition towards net-zero emissions.
5. By using the cleaner energy options, Pan-United has the potential to significantly improve the sustainability performance of its delivery fleet. The conversion from diesel engines to electric and hydrogen powered ones in its fleet can also mitigate against potential rises in oil prices, and reflects the company’s efforts to support climate change action through the use of greener transportation services.
6. As a vertically integrated concrete producer, Pan-United understands the importance of minimising its supply chain contribution to energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, water consumption and waste. A key component of its supply chain is its fleet of concrete mixer and delivery tipper trucks which can make up to 7,000 trips a day across Singapore.
7. This is the second partnership between Surbana Jurong and Pan-United. In 2020, both parties signed a Memorandum of Understanding with two other industry leaders, Keppel Data Centres and Chevron, supported by the National Research Foundation. This alliance was aimed at jointly exploring, identifying and developing carbon capture technologies, including novel CO2 mitigation technologies that convert captured CO2 into useful construction materials.
8. May Ng (黄美美), Pan-United’s Chief Executive Officer, said, “There is urgency to address global warming by all stakeholders. We recognise the benefits and importance of synergistic collaborations to effectively address it and drive the built environment towards net zero. As a key player in this sector, we are committed to invest to reduce our carbon footprint and provide low-carbon and carbon-neutral concrete products for the built environment.
9. Yeo Choon Chong (杨俊聪), the Chief Executive Officer of Surbana Jurong’s ASEAN division, said, “We applaud Pan-United’s ambition to decarbonise its heavy vehicle fleet and are excited to contribute to its sustainability initiative by leveraging our expertise in electrification and hydrogen solutions. Partnerships are a key method of accelerating our collective efforts to build for a safe, sustainable and resilient future for all.”
– End –
About Pan-United Corporation
Pan-United Corporation Ltd (Pan-United) is a listed Asia-based technology company (SGX:P52) catalysing change in the ready-mix concrete and logistics space. Through concrete innovation, it has advanced to the global forefront of low-carbon-footprint concrete technology. As a believer in sustainability for over two decades, Pan-United has developed in-house more than 300 highly specialised concrete solutions for all urban built environment needs. Many of these solutions were created in collaboration with customers to address present and future specifications.
Pan-United’s circular economy model of product and process innovation, combined with waste reduction, provides a comprehensive approach to long-term sustainability of the ready-mix concrete industry. Its circular model is underlined by extensive digitalisation towards industry transformation. Pan-United takes pride in making concrete greener and stronger to decarbonise cities, working towards lowering the world’s carbon footprint and creating a safer world for future generations.
For more information, please visit: www.panunited.com.sg
About Surbana Jurong
Surbana Jurong Group is a global urban, infrastructure and managed services consulting firm, with over 70 years of track record in successful project delivery. Headquartered in Singapore, the group has a global talent pool of over 16,000 across Surbana Jurong and our member companies AETOS, Atelier Ten, B+H, KTP, Prostruct, RBG, SAA, Sino-Sun and SMEC, based in more than 120 offices in over 40 countries. They include architects, designers, planners, engineers and other specialists driven by progressive thinking and creative ideas to shape a better future.
Our technical experts deliver sustainable solutions that cover the entire project life cycle from planning and design, through to delivery and management. We also provide a full suite of multi-disciplinary consultancy services across a diverse range of sectors including energy and resources, aviation, healthcare, hospitality, transport, water, environment, as well as services such as industrial solutions and parks management.
Surbana Jurong has built more than a million homes in Singapore, created master plans in more than 30 countries and developed over 100 industrial parks globally. Our tag line “Building Cities, Shaping Lives” expresses how every project or undertaking is, for the Group, an opportunity to fulfil aspirations and enrich lives. By designing and delivering quality housing, work spaces, roads, rail, hydropower, dams, underground and coastal protections and other critical infrastructure needed by our clients, we are redefining cities and transforming them into sustainable and liveable spaces where communities and businesses, present and future, can thrive.
For more information, please visit: www.surbanajurong.com