Over the Decades
- Ng Kar Cheong sets up ship chandler Hiap Soon & Company with three other partners, to service ships calling at Singapore port.
Supporting the construction industry
- Singapore attains independence. With opportunities abounding in the growing nation, Hiap Soon extends its services to the construction industry.
- Founder Ng seizes the opportunity to provide tug and barge services to move Indonesian logs to Singapore. Pan-United Shipping Pte Ltd is created as a subsidiary of Hiap Soon to operate the vessels.
- After the demise of one of the four Hiap Soon shareholders, the others part ways. Mr Ng takes full ownership of Pan-United Shipping as his share of Hiap Soon.
- The Group provides shiprepair and shipbuilding services from a new shipyard in Tuas.
A new aggregates business in Indonesia
- The Group enters the aggregate quarrying business on Karimun Island in Indonesia’s Riau Province.
Vertical integration into cement trading
United Cement Pte Ltd is formed in a 50:50 joint venture with Kedah Cement Bhd, as a vertical integration with the upstream aggregate business.
A listing in Singapore
- Pan-United Corporation Ltd is listed on the main board of the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Founder Ng Kar Cheong retires from the Group.
- Xinghua Port Group signs an MOU to acquire a waterfront site in Changshu, Jiangsu Province, China, to develop a greenfield port.
A new port business in China; the Group emerges unscathed by the Asian Financial Crisis
- Phase 1 of the port begins operations.
Downstream into ready-mixed cement
- Pan-United Concrete Pte Ltd begins operations, supplying ready mixed concrete in Singapore.
- Pan-United Shipyard is demerged and listed as Pan-United Marine Ltd. The shipyard is later acquired by Dubai Drydocks World LLC and delisted in 2007.
- United Cement becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Group.
- Singapore’s Minister Mentor, Lee Kuan Yew, visits Changshu Xinghua Port to grace its 10th Anniversary celebrations.
The Group celebrates its 50th Anniversary
Expansion into Vietnam
- Pan-United Concrete expands to Ho Chi Minh City, leveraging on the strong PanU brand for consistent quality and reliable service.
- The Group becomes a joint-venture partner in PT PG, a granite quarrying business in Riau, Indonesia.
A state-of-the-art Innovation Centre
- The Innovation Centre opens to spearhead industry leadership in concrete innovation. This sophisticated R&D facility advances PanU’s position in concrete product development using cutting-edge technologies.
Technology push with Command Centre
- Pan-United Concrete sets up a Command Centre to integrate its operations in a technology push strategy.
- Pan-United’s port arm, Xinghua Port Group, acquires neighbour port, Changshu Changjiang International Port (CCIP).
Market expansion to Malaysia
- Pan-United Concrete enters Malaysia with its first concrete batching plant in Johor, Malaysia.
- Group revenues cross the S$800-million mark.
Divestment of shipping assets
- Divestment of tug and barge business.
Port listing in Hong Kong
- Xinghua Port Group is demerged and listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Pan-United subsidiary, Meridian Maplestar, integrates upstream into the production of cementitious (recycled) materials with a new ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBFS) grinding plant in Johor, Malaysia.