Over the Decades
In our 60 years of growth, Pan-United Corporation Ltd has transformed into an innovation-centric organisation. Our strategic focus is to create sustainable solutions that are safe and environmentally-friendly for the communities and the world we live in.
- Xinghua Port Group is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Meridian Maplestar, a fully-owned Pan-United subsidiary, integrates upstream into the production of cementitious (recycled) materials with a new ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBFS) grinding plant in Johor, Malaysia.
New slag plant in Malaysia
- Xinghua Port Group is demerged from Pan-United.
A second port facility in PRC
- Pan-United Concrete will integrate upstream into the production of cementitious (recycled) materials when its first ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBFS) grinding plant is completed in Johor, Malaysia, in 2017.
- Divestment of tug and barge business.
- Group revenues cross the S$800-million mark.
- Pan-United Concrete sets up its first concrete batching plant in Johor, Malaysia.
A state-of-the-art Innovation Centre
- The Xinghua Port Group acquires the adjacent Changshu Changjiang International Port (CCIP).
- Pan-United Concrete sets up a Command Centre to integrate its operations in a technology push strategy.
- The Group acquires 36 per cent of the total issued shares of SCDC from MIIHL.
Downstream integration into ready-mixed cement
- The Innovation Centre opens to spearhead industry leadership. This sophisticated R&D facility advances PanU’s industry leadership in concrete and cement product development using cutting-edge technologies.
- Pan-United Concrete expands to Vietnam, leveraging on the strong PanU brand for consistent quality and reliable service.
- The Group acquires an 80 per cent equity stake in PT PG, a granite quarry in Riau, Indonesia.
- The Group celebrates its 50th Anniversary.
- Phase 3 of the port completes. Bringing the total number of berths to eight.
- Pan-United Shipyard is demerged and listed as Pan-United Marine Ltd. The shipyard is later acquired by Dubai Drydocks World LLC and delisted in 2007.
- United Cement becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Group.
- Singapore’s Minister Mentor, Lee Kuan Yew, visits Changshu Xinghua Port to grace its 10th Anniversary celebrations.
- Phase 2 of the port commences, with plans to add two more berths to the existing three.
- Pan-United Concrete expands into aggregate quarrying in Malaysia.
A new port business in China; the Group emerges unscathed by the Asian Financial Crisis
- Pan-United Concrete Pte Ltd begins operations, supplying Ready Mixed Concrete in Singapore.
Vertical integration into cement trading
- Phase 1 of the port begins operations.
A listing in Singapore
- Xinghua Port Group signs an MOU to acquire a waterfront site in Changshu, Jiangsu Province, China, to develop a greenfield port.
A new aggregates business in Indonesia
- Pan-United Corporation Ltd is listed on the main board of the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Founder Ng Kar Cheong retires from the Group.
- United Cement Pte Ltd is formed in a 50:50 joint venture with Kedah Cement Bhd, as a vertical integration with the upstream aggregate business.
Supporting the construction business
- The Group enters the aggregate quarrying business on Karimun Island in Indonesia’s Riau Province.
- The Group provides shiprepair and shipbuilding services from a new shipyard in Tuas.
- After the demise of one of the four Hiap Soon shareholders, the others part ways. Mr Ng takes full ownership of Pan-United Shipping as his share of Hiap Soon.
- Founder Ng seizes the opportunity to provide tug and barge services to move Indonesian logs to Singapore. Pan-United Shipping Pte Ltd is created as a subsidiary of Hiap Soon to operate the vessels.
- Singapore attains independence. With opportunities abounding in the growing nation, Hiap Soon extends its services to the construction industry.
- Ng Kar Cheong sets up shipchandler Hiap Soon & Company with three other partners, to service ships calling at Singapore port.
Our Leadership PREVIOUS | NEXT Celebrating 50 Years